Sunday, February 17, 2013

Food Behavior 101 Tip #2



"We don't plan to fail, we fail to plan"

This is your key to nutritional success, but I could apply this statement to anything.  You NEED to plan.  


There are so many times when I find myself hungry, but because I didn't plan and I had no access to healthy food, I set myself up for failure. So what happens? You eat something you shouldn't, because let's face it, hunger always wins.  


If you are tracking calories, how are you going to hit your numbers if you don't know what you are eating for the day? Same goes for the Zone Diet or any sort of planned portion regiment.


If you follow Paleo, or Atkins, or any sort of food group restrictive diet, and you didn't spend time buying and planning your food, how will you know what to eat, or more importantly,  
how will you make it work?

I typically take time on Sunday to cook food to take during the week.  I may cook more on Wednesday because I run out, or because I eat Paleo and a lot of my food is perishable.  When I am doing zone, I will write out what I am eating for a few days to give myself variety.  This sounds hard to some people, but it is much harder to do well if you don't have a plan.  Make it easy on yourself and plan! Be prepared! 


It's great when all my food is made.  I reach into the fridge and there is dinner!


You want to get to your goals? Then you need to plan, it won't happen on its own.  

RECIPE TIME! This one is one of my favorites... Ian and I have been eating this all weekend!  You can use this sauce on any kind of chicken or meat, I just really happen to like chicken wings :)


Spicy Mango Pineapple Chicken Wings

  • 1 cup frozen mango
  • 1 cup frozen pineapple
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 3 Tsp Coconut Aminos (This is a much lower sodium and healthier alternative to soy sauce, you can find it at a health food store or on luckyvitamin.com)
  • 1 Tsp Garlic
  • 1 Tsp Habenero Hot Sauce (I used Scoville Units Habenero Orange)
  • Sweet Paprika and Chipotle to taste
  • 1/2 Tspn Cayenne
  • 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar
  • 4lbs of Chicken Drums and Wings



Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Heat the mango, pinneapple, and coconut oil on medium in a pan
Once fruit is soft add the hot sauce, garlic, and coconut aminos.  
Keep stirring so the fruit doesn't stick.
Once mixed together add spices
Let cook for about 3 - 5 more minutes.
Put everything in a food processor or blender and let it puree


Set up your chicken, and lay the pieces out so they aren't on top of each other
Rinse and dry off chicken, put about 3/4 of the sauce on the chicken, leave some for when it is cooked.  
Put the wings in the oven, and let cook for 30 minutes.  Take out of the oven and put more wing sauce on the chicken and put back in the oven for 5 minutes.

Let it cool down and enjoy!!!!

Make it a meal:  Have the sauce on chicken breasts (the wings are fine too!) with cauliflower rice (send me a message for this recipe, it is super easy!) and mixed squash for a side! 



No comments:

Post a Comment